Photo Credit: Tresemes37
Gratitude may be the simplest tool we possess to increase abundance in our lives. The field of Positive Psychology grew out of the ‘gratitude visit’ that Martin Seligman, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, gave his students. It turned out that expressing gratitude and savoring blessings profoundly increases health and happiness.
Imagine what would happen if you included yourself on your gift list this holiday season? And instead of buying presents, you expressed heartfelt love and appreciation with these Celebration Dares.
Celebration Dare 1: 101 Treasures + Traits
List 101 treasures and traits you love and appreciate about YOU.
If this makes you want to run for the hills, begin with ten or even just three.
- I adore my passion
- I admire my creativity.
- I appreciate my strong muscles.
- I’m thrilled with my signature scent (lusty jasmine) that wafts from my hair, neck + wrists compelling compliments of, “Mmm, you smell so good.”
See what happens when you get going…?
What do you love about your personality? Are you compassionate or bold?
What do you appreciate about your body? Your cute toes, long legs, firm abs or belly streaked with the beauty marks left behind after she made a baby?
Perhaps it’s your curious or analytical mind? Or your generous or indomitable spirit?
Approach the activity with the same attitude towards yourself that you have for a grandparent, parent, child or spouse/partner.
You can even make a simple list. I love + appreciate you because…
Immerse or take your time. What feels best to you?
- Carve out an hour or so to take advantage of an inspired muse.
- Make it a daily ritual upon awakening (or before bed) with a cup of tea while curled up with your journal.
- Start a new note in an app on your phone to capture self-love on the fly.
Once you complete a list of 101, give it to yourself as a gift.
- Create a fancy PDF. Print it in color. Send it to yourself tucked in a holiday card signed with love.
- Make picture art using your favorite online (Canva) or mobile (WordSwag) app. Print, frame + wrap it up. Then stick it under your tree, if you celebrate Christmas.
- Hand write it on simple or stunning paper. Read it aloud to yourself on New Year’s Eve while sipping a glass of champagne. You can even record it on your phone (or with vocaroo) to listen when your critical voice comes haunting.
Savor the love and appreciation.
Celebration Dare 2: Be One With LOVE
All we are is love. ~ Larisa Stow & Shakit Tribe
Buy or cue up the song Final Moment: Love by Larisa Stow & Shakti Tribe on your mobile music device.
Take it with you (don’t forget headphones) to your favorite spot in Nature. Take it to one that awes you and makes you feel connected to all living things.
Get warm, present and embodied with a short hike, swim or dance. Play, if you dare. Skip through the grass, ride a swing, build a sand castle or climb a tree.
Once you’re smiling and glowing get comfy. Lay or sit on the ground (on a towel or blanket you brought) or stand at the edge of the ocean or stunning hilltop view.
Put in your headphones and start the music. Play it loud enough to feel enveloped by its vibrations, yet quiet enough to hear the hum of nature surrounding you.
Feel the love vibration. Let the expansive energy of the music, her voice and the lyrics fill you and lift your spirit.
At some point as she chants, all we are is love, stretch out your arms and soak up the light from the sun—whether direct rays, filtered or reflected.
Feel loved by the universe. Soak it in by giving yourself a hug. Feel loved by YOU.
Revel in connection. And listen to the song anytime you need a boost.
If this feels too ‘woo woo’ for you, watch the documentary, I AM. It could change your mind. And if you live near Ventura go to this playshop with Larisa Stow. I wish I could.
Celebration Dare 3: Celebratory Parade
Dance to a song that feels like a party or celebratory parade in your house or during a freestyle dance during your weekly dance class, if you take them.
Adorn yourself in an outfit you love, with your Bodybinds, of course! Add jewelry that jingles and jangles when you strut and twirl. Hip scarfs with dangling coins are my favorite. Anklets and charm bracelets or bangles are a close second. Even dangle ornaments or lights from your Bodybinds.
If you’re not a dancer, sashay and strut through your house. Or better yet, down your street or a grocery store aisle. Carry and shake a tambourine, egg shakers, gourd drum or any percussion instrument you have lying around.
This dare was inspired by my recent dance to Trumpets by Jason Derulo in my regular pole dance class after my teacher said, “You filled the room like a one woman parade.” That’s exactly what it felt like!
Every woman, man and child deserves to dance or move like a one-person parade at least once in his or her life!
More Song Suggestions:
- Adorn by Miguel
- Freedom! 90 by George Michael
- Swing by Savage
- Party (ft. Andre 3000 & Kanye West) by Beyonce
- Wild for the Night (ft. Skrillex & Birdy Nam Nam) by A$AP Rocky
- Bailando (ft. Sean Paul, Descemer Bueno & Gente de Zona) by Enrique Iglesias
Rejoice in celebrating YOU!
PS If you enjoy this and want more come join me on my blog from Dec 31 thru Jan 2 for a 3-Day Love Growth Spurt Challenge for daily prompts to celebrate, cherish and dare ourselves to increase the size of our heart’s.
Lisa Faulkner is the passionate + playful pole dancing professor. She also writes for PDBloggers and Bad Kitty. Come learn and play with her at poledancingprofessor.com.